10 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Green Tea: The Healthiest Drink
For centuries green tea has been praised all over the world for its health benefits. Here are the top ten health benefits of green tea that have been scientifically confirmed through research and testing.
Green tea is made from the leaves of camellia sinensis. The popularity of green tea has grown leaps and bounds owing to its multitude of health benefits. The Chinese have known the medicinal benefit of green tea since ancient times and would often use it to treat depression, headaches and other ailments. It comes packed with health and beauty benefits which you can avail either by applying it directly on the skin or drinking it.
The health benefits of green tea lies in the huge amounts of catechins polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin (EGCG) that it has. EGCG is a strong antioxidant that inhibits the growth of cancerous cells and also has many other health benefits.
- It is believed that green tea helps to prevent cancer. This anti-oxidant in green acts as a protectant from cancer in different parts of the body like the breast, stomach, skin, rectum, lungs, intestine and more. The extract from the leaves of the tea starves the tumors by preventing the growth of new blood vessels to feed them. It even protects the cell from damages caused by cancer. Moreover it not only inhibits cancer cells but kills it without harming the normal cells.
- Green tea is quite effective in preventing cardiovascular diseases by lowering the level of cholesterol in the body. It maintains the ratio between good cholesterol level and bad cholesterol. It prevents the formation of the blood clots that cause a risk of heart attacks by improving the health of the cells that line the blood vessels.Green tea can also be consumed after an episode of heart attack to speed up the recovery of heart cells.
- Polyphenols, an antioxidant present in green tea, fights against the free radicals that speed up the aging process. Oligomericproanthocyanidiins present in green tea, promotes longevity and prevents wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- It increases the strength of the immune system that fights off the different infections on account of the flavonoids and polyphenols content. The vitamin C content also keeps cold and flu away.. It also fights rheumatoid arthritis, infection, builds bone density and protects the kidney and liver.
- Green tea is proven to burn fat and boost the metabolism rate naturally, which in turn results in weight loss. This happens due to its ability to reduce the body fat percentage along with cholesterol while it curbs bloating, irregular hunger pangs and aids in detoxification. Two cups of green tea a day can help you to burn at least 70 calories a day. Thus, you can easily lose 7 pounds a year. The boosted metabolism results in increased energy and endurance levels too.
- Green tea does wonders to people suffering from diabetes. It regulates blood glucose levels and lowers high blood sugar level. It also stimulates insulin production and activates the functioning of pancreas to a great extent. Thus the blood sugar level in the body can be regulated and normalized with the help of green tea.
- Green tea is an effective agent in the prevention and treatment of neurological diseases. Polyphenols in green tea help to maintain a part of the brain that regulates learning and memory process. Regular consumption of green tea prevents degenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer.
- Catechins, the chemical antioxidant found in green tea, can destroy the bacteria and viruses which lead to throat infection, dental caries and other dental problems. The ECGC present in green tea protects against the bacteria called Streptococcus mutants and its anti-bacterial agent kills the bacteria that cause cavities and bad breath.
- Theanine, an amino acid found in tea leaves, provides a relaxing and tranquilizing effect which keeps stress at bay. It also hydrates the body like no other tea does. Its hydration is similar to that of water.
- The antioxidant properties of green tea, which are supposed to be meditated by ECGC, are useful in treating hair loss problems by controlling the DHT level in the body which is majorly responsible for hair loss. Thus, if you want a thick and strong mane, include green tea regularly in your diet. Apply warm tea bags on the scalp and leave it for an hour, rinse it off with water and you will get a lustrous crown of glory in a matter of few weeks.
For more information on the health benefits of green tea, check:
So go ahead and relish a hot cup of green tea to enjoy its numerous health benefits. Do share your thoughts with us!